Friday, June 3, 2011

Serving Up {Salad}: Potato Mac Salad

This is the continuation of yesterday's post...my (bad weather) Memorial Day barbecue menu.  What would a barbecue be without a potato salad or a macaroni salad?  Can't decide which?  This recipe solves the problem by combining the two and the result is great!

Here in Portland there is a Hawaiian restaurant called Noho's that I drool over.  While I've eaten at other good Hawaiian restaurants, Noho's really had me after one bite of their macaroni salad.  I was thrilled when the local paper revealed their "secret" - which was to add potato to it.  I have added potatoes to my mac salad ever since and this recipe is the result of making it many times and making adjustments each time.



POTATO MAC SALAD     Pin It
1 cup dry elbow macaroni
2 small to medium russet potatoes
2 carrots, shredded
1 green onion
2 cups Best Foods mayonnaise
1 squirt yellow mustard, to taste
3 Tbs. sweet relish, to taste
celery seed, to taste 
Salt & Pepper

Cook the macaroni according to directions.  Rinse and drain.  Place in a bowl to cool in the fridge for at least one hour.
Peel and dice the potatoes.  Place in a pan and cover with salted water.  Cook until fork tender.  Drain and place in a bowl to cool in the fridge until cooled through.
In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, relish, and celery seed and mix well.  Dice the green onion and add to the dressing.  Shred the carrots and add to the dressing.
Combine the cooled macaroni and cooled potatoes.  Pour dressing over both and mix to combine.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  If it is dry, add a bit more mayonnaise.
Refrigerate salad for at least 4 hours to allow it to chill through and flavors to blend.

2 comments:

  1. Random comment and I'm sure you're getting to it ....but I haven't seen posted four of my favorite recipe's from Katherine's kitchen. 1. The Ulitmate chocolate cake 2.The better than whoopy cake 3. The fat free banana bread 4. the chicken salad with the ramen noodle

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fat free banana bread uses Grandma's Banana Bread recipe (posted) substituting apple sauce for the oil. I don't make it that way anymore - fat doesn't scare me like it used to, as long as I use my healthy fat sources :)
    The Chicken Salad has been made and photographed.
    The other two need to be made and photographed.
    Thanks Mel! I'm glad somebody (other than my mom) reads this blog.

    ReplyDelete