Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Buttermilk Pancakes

At any given time if you were to open my refrigerator you would find at least one, if not two, containers of fresh buttermilk.  It is a mainstay for breakfast at our house.  Buttermilk Pancakes and Buttermilk Waffles are each on our menu at least once a week.  I grew up thinking that you could substitute the dry buttermilk powder for the real thing.  I guess technically you can, but the end result knows that you cheated.  Promise me that if you have never used real buttermilk that you will try it.  I am convinced that you will be converted just as I was.

I used to think that making pancakes from scratch took too much time out of our busy morning routine.  Not the case.  This recipe comes together in minutes.  If time really is the issue, you could combine all the dry ingredients the night before in one bowl and the wet ingredients in a bowl left in the fridge.  Then you would have no excuse.  Personally, I think there is no excuse for NOT making these regularly.  I hope you agree.



BUTTERMILK PANCAKES     

2 cups flour
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil

Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs and oil and whisk together.  Pour liquid into the bowl with the flour and mix until just combined, being careful to not over mix.  Pour 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto a heated griddle, flipping when bubbles begin to form.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kath, I tried to make these pancakes this morning and I have a question. The batter is SO thick. Is that normal? Like it won't even spread on the pan or pour out nicely. I made it twice just to make sure and both times it turned out so thick. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The batter is thick, but not so thick that it doesn't spread. The only idea that I would have is to ensure that you are measuring flour that has been sifted or whisked to add air and then scoop your flour INTO your measuring cup and not WITH your measuring cup. You don't want to have compacted flour.
    Hope that helps and that you have more success next time.
    (sorry for my slow reply)

    ReplyDelete