Monday, June 13, 2011

Serving Up {Ice Cream}: Oreo Ice Cream Cake

 
I have been asked by more than one of my children for an ice cream cake for their birthday.  You would think I would have learned long ago to just go and buy one.  But I'm a slow learner and as a result, we have celebrated with some weird ice cream cakes over the years.

But in my defense - if I had taken the easy way out, I never would have stumbled upon this recipe - which just so happens to be the easiest answer to an ice cream cake EVER (and significantly less expensive than Cold Stone!)  We celebrated my stepson's birthday over the weekend, and while he didn't make the specific request for an ice cream cake (probably a direct result of previous requests gone terribly wrong) I know of his love for ice cream cake and surprised him.  The surprise lost some of the "bang" when three of my four children pointed to the freezer over the course of the day and told him that "your cake is in the freezer".  What we lost in "surprise" we more than made up for in presentation!

One variation that I highly recommend, although I didn't do it this time.  Use the mint Oreo's and mint ice-cream sandwiches.  The last time I made this cake I switched it up with the mint and it really takes the cake over the top.  I wish I had done it again this time.

 
OREO ICE CREAM CAKE     
(recipe from Kraft Food & Family)
printable version

1/2 cup hot fudge ice cream topping, warmed
8-ounce COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed, divided
1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) Chocolate Instant Pudding
8-12 OREO Cookies, chopped (about 1 cup)
12 vanilla ice cream sandwiches

Pour fudge topping into medium bowl. Whisk in 1 cup COOL WHIP. Add dry pudding mix; stir 2 min. Stir in chopped cookies.
Arrange 4 ice cream sandwiches, side-by-side, on 24-inch-long sheet of foil; top with half the COOL WHIP mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining sandwiches. Frost top and sides with remaining COOL WHIP. Bring up foil sides; double fold top and ends to loosely seal packet.
Freeze 4 hours or until firm.

*** A delicious variation is to use MINT Oreos and MINT ice cream sandwiches ***

No comments:

Post a Comment