Thursday, June 30, 2011

Serving UP {Dessert}: Best Homemade Ice Cream

Are you getting ready for your 4th of July BBQ yet?  My kids have been asking what our plans are and my eight year old informed me that he loves the 4th of July because of the BBQ.  Fascinating since we BBQ all the time and the menu is the same whether it's a holiday or not.  Also fascinating because he generally eats what is grilled and passes on all the sides.  So I'm not sure where the love affair is, but maybe it's because he know I will be making this homemade ice-cream!

Growing up I was blessed to live very close to family (VERY close!).  Because of the close proximity to family, we had a family BBQ for Memorial Day, the 4th of July, Pioneer Day (a Utah holiday), and Labor Day.  The menu was always the same, with the same aunts bringing the same items to each BBQ.  The most important assignment was always grandpa's because he was in charge of the Homemade Ice Cream.  It would not have been a family gathering if we weren't all talking over the loud drone of the electric ice cream maker at the corner of the garage.  Loved it!

This recipe isn't actually the recipe that my grandpa used.  Forgive me for saying this, but this recipe is even better!  I came across this recipe when I was first married and have tweaked it slightly, but have never gone back to any other vanilla ice cream recipe.  For our family, this is it!

Just in case you are looking for something beyond vanilla, tomorrow I will post another favorite homemade ice cream recipe - Root Beer Float ice cream!

BEST HOMEMADE VANILLA ICE CREAM     
printable version

5 eggs (I use egg beaters as the eggs aren’t cooked)
2 cans evaporated milk
1 pint heavy cream
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 ½ C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 (3.5 oz) box instant vanilla pudding
4 C. whole milk

In a large bowl, beat together eggs, evaporated milk, heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer. Beat in pudding mix until smooth. Pour into freezer canister of ice cream maker and add milk, not exceeding the "fill line" on the freezer canister (you may use less than all 4 cups of milk). Freeze according to manufacturers directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment