Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Serving Up {Snack}: Caramel Clusters

If you were looking to make something that is completely and totally addictive, then today's recipe is it!

Most of the recipes that I have posted are recipes that we have been making for a number of years - those that have stood the test of time.  This recipe is the exception (but what a worthwhile exception!).  Three weeks ago at church a young man in our ward brought a bucket of this delightfulness to share with all the young women that I work with to say thanks for their help with his Eagle Scout project.  I admit that I almost didn't try it - but based on the response of the girls I took a bite...and then another...and another...holy cow!

It was obviously a caramel topping but we could not determine amongst us what type of "puff" had been doused in caramel coating.  Twenty four hours later I could not take it and I emailed the young man's mom and she graciously passed along the secret "puff" ingredient as well as the entire recipe.  The "puff" is Chester's Puffcorn - in butter flavor.  I was previously not aware of Chester's Puffcorn, but have since been successful at finding it at Target (with a grocery section) and at WINCO.

That was three weeks ago and I have made this recipe three times.  Oh, and I have two bags of Chesters in my pantry just in case I need to make it again on short notice.  Addictive I tell you!


CARAMEL CLUSTERS     
(recipe from Angie S.)
printable version

In a 2 quart microwavable glass bowl, combine:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light karo syrup
1/4 tsp. salt

Stir the ingredients together and microwave for 2 minutes.
Remove from the microwave, stir and microwave again for 2 minutes.
Remove again from the microwave, stir and microwave once again for 2 minutes.

Remove from the microwave and add:
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Stir well (it will foam up).
Add entire bag of butter flavored Chester's Puffcorn and mix well.

Return the bowl to the microwave and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove from the microwave, stir again and return to microwave for another 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove from the microwave, stir again and pour out onto a cookie tray.
Once it has cooled slightly, break the pieces into small chunks and allow to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot wait to try this and I am so happy to discover your blog! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete