Monday, August 22, 2011

Serving Up {Side Dish}: Baked Beans

I've mentioned before that when I was growing up we frequently gathered with extended family for BBQ's during the summer months, and that these BBQ's tended to have a menu with each family member bringing a particular dish that they were "known" for.  My mom generally brought the baked beans.

This is my mom's recipe for baked beans.  These beans are pretty easy because they begin with canned beans so there are no overnight soaking or rinsing involved.  A major plus in my kitchen!  I also frequently skip the bacon, only because I don't always have it on hand, and the end product still turns out terrific.  But if you've got bacon it is definitely a worthwhile addition.


BAKED BEANS     Pin It
(recipe from Linda W.)
printable version

3 small cans Pork & Beans
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard (I eyeball it which means I always add more than written :)
4 bacon slices, cooked and broken into pieces

Combine all ingredients in a deep dutch oven and bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment