Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Serving Up {Salad}: Savory Wild Rice Chicken Salad



You have got to just trust me on this one.  Seriously so good!  I take comfort in the fact that this is a relatively healthy dish because I eat the biggest portions of this meal when I serve it!  Really, it's almost embarrassing.

The first time I was served this salad was when I got together with two close high school friends to catch up after we had all lived in separate states for a number of years.  I was immediately hooked and was bold enough to dish up a meaningful second serving!  Shortly thereafter I served it at a Mother's Day luncheon that I hosted in my home and I had to follow up the luncheon with an email to all of the guests with the recipe because every single person requested it.  It's just one of those dishes.  The ingredients are basic enough, but something happens when they are all combined - let's just call it magic and leave it at that.


SAVORY WILD RICE CHICKEN SALAD     Pin It
(recipe from Kim F.)
2 Long Grain & Wild Rice Boxes (Uncle Ben’s) *cook as directed with seasonings-cool
2 large chicken breasts *cooked, chopped and cooled
Juice from 1 lemon
4 green onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
2 avocados, chopped
1 cup chopped pecans (in large pieces)

Make rice and cool completely. Add all other ingredients for the salad except the pecans and avocado.

Dressing:
2 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp. salt
¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp. pepper
1/3 cup Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar-regular flavor

Mix the dressing in a blender and pour over the rice mixture.
(Be careful not to over mix the rice mixture because it can make it mushy.)
Refrigerate 4-8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment