Thursday, July 11, 2013

Serving Up {Entree}: Reuben Eggrolls


Last summer I admitted on this blog that I have a bit of a love affair with anything "reuben".  I shared the recipe for a Reuben Calzone, which is downright brilliant if I do say so myself.  And then, thanks to my dear friend pinterest, I saw this recipe and I thought that I had died and gone to heaven!  Reuben eggrolls!  Seriously?  It is beyond brilliant!!!  

Now, I am not generally interested in taking part in the labor intensive job of making homemeade eggrolls...all the chopping of ingredients and the rolling of the rolls and the deep frying...give me take out!  But let me tell you, I didn't even blink an eye when it came to these.  I was all over this recipe and I really didn't find it overly labor intensive.  It was a labor of love and the end product was worth the few extra minutes in the kitchen.  Let's sum up the praise with this....even my kids ask for more!



One Year Ago: Rigatoni
Two Years Ago: Coconut Banana Muffins
                          Creamy Beef Taco Meat

REUBEN EGGROLLS     
(recipe from Foodie with Family)
printable version

24 egg roll wrappers
2 pounds deli corned beef or pastrami, coarsely chopped
1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained (squeeze as much excess liquid off as you can)
2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 tsp. caraway seed, optional
2-3 inches canola oil in a high sided, heavy bottomed pan

In a large bowl, combine the coarsely chopped corned beef and the well drained sauerkraut.  Add the shredded Swiss cheese and caraway seed (if using).  Toss the ingredients together so that everything is evenly combined.
Place a small bowl with fresh water next to your work space (for moistening the egg roll wrapper edges) and a clean plate to place the egg rolls on once they are rolled.  Place a single egg roll wrapper in front of you, with one point facing toward you and one point facing away.  Dip your finger in the bowl of water and moisten the two edges farthest away from you.  Place 1/4 cup of the corned beef filling onto the egg roll wrapper and roll it away from you, tucking the edges as you go and sealing the edges by pressing gently.
Repeat for additional egg rolls until the filling is used up.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees.  Cook 4-5 egg rolls at a time, depending on the size of your pan.  They should cook for about 3 minutes, turning 2-3 times during that time.  Cook until they are evenly golden brown in color - do not overcook.  Remove from oil and place on a plate lined with multiple paper towels to allow oil to drain and eggrolls to cool slightly.
Serve hot with dipping sauce.

Dressing/Dipping Sauce:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/4 minced sweet onion
3 Tbs. ketchup
pinch cayenne pepper
Mix all ingredients together using a fork or small whisk.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering!
    Can't wait to try. Thanks Katherine!

    ReplyDelete