Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Serving Up {Ice Cream} Sour Cream Strawberry Ice Cream


Do you ever think back on something that you ate as a child and wonder if it really tastes as good as you remember it tasting?  I had that experience recently.  I was thinking about, and craving, a homemade strawberry ice cream that my mom used to make - no ice-cream freezer required.  So I contacted my mom and asked if she remembered the "strawberry ice-cream that used sour cream" and, sure enough, not only did she remember it but she still had the recipe (turns out it was my paternal grandmother's recipe).  I promptly made a batch and am now wondering how I had forgotten about this treat for so many years!  I have been missing out on some serious summertime goodness!

The recipe, as posted, is the original recipe multiplied by 3.  I can't even begin to imagine only making 1/3 of a batch.  What was my grandmother thinking?  If you prefer your ice-cream sans chunks, feel free to throw all the ingredients into the blender and pulse a couple of times.  That is what I did with a portion of the ice-cream so that I could pour it into popsicle molds for ice-cream popsicles.  The popsicles were a great variation on a very delicious, very refreshing summertime treat.




One Year Ago: White Chocolate Brownie Decadence
Two Years Ago: Cilantro Ranch Dressing

SOUR CREAM STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM      
(recipe from Linda W.)

3 10-ounce packages frozen strawberries, partially thawed 
3 cups sour cream
3 pinchs salt
2 ¼ cup sugar

Combine all of the ingredients and mix well.  
Place in a 13x9 (or similar) size pan and place in freezer.
After an hour, remove from freezer and stir ingredients again.
Return to freezer and allow to freeze solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment