Friday, April 6, 2012

Serving Up {Dessert}: Hot Fudge Sauce


The power of suggestion!  The mere mention of brownies topped with ice-cream and hot fudge sauce in my last post (here) destroyed all my willpower and I was left with no choice but to whip together some homemade hot fudge sauce.  Luckily for me, my recipe is super quick, super easy and super delicious.

Quick story - last summer our family was invited to a neighborhood ice-cream/swim party.  I had been eyeing a hot fudge recipe online that was completely different from mine and I thought that taking hot fudge to the ice cream party would be pretty terrific of me and a great reason to try this new recipe.  Granted, it turned out very tasty, but it's first strike against it was that it had twice as many ingredients as my recipe, including corn syrup (yuck!).  Then to my horror, as the sauce cooled down (including when it hit the ice cream), it got ROCK HARD!  I really wanted to go swipe it off the topping table and hide it.  I kid you not, I saw a child walking away from the table with a large piece of it telling his mom that there was "fudge" at the treat table!  Thank goodness it was in a container that did NOT have my name on it :)

I mention all of that only to assure you that this hot fudge sauce remains a "sauce" even after putting it atop ice cream or after refrigeration.  Love that!  You can still heat it up for the "hot" part of the Hot Fudge Sauce, but should you choose to serve it directly from refrigeration, there is no chisel required.  Let's admit it, it is a whole lot easier to steal a little spoonful when you are craving a little chocolate when you can just dip your spoon right in.  But who does that? (wink!)





One Year Ago: Strawberry Spinach Salad

HOT FUDGE SAUCE     
(recipe from Christyn A.)
printable version

1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 1-ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate
2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbs. butter

Combine sweetened condensed milk and chocolate in a heavy saucepan over low heat.  Heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter, stirring until the butter is completely melted.
Serve over ice cream
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment