Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Serving Up {Cookies}: Chocolate Rolo Cookies


This is my second recipe this week for using up those leftover rolo candies from Easter - although, truthfully, rolo's don't last that long at our home and I probably ought to have posted these recipes two weeks ago.  Sorry about that.  It turns out that I am not the only one with rolo's on the mind....just this week I have had a couple of rolo recipes land in my google reader.  I haven't made either recipe (yet), but both look a little sinful  - check them out here and here.

In my "prior" life (prior kiddos, prior marriage) I worked as a Registered Nurse. I worked for almost seven years before I took my maternity leave 11 years ago :) During part of my nursing years, I worked in the operating room of a large hospital that was involved in many humanitarian projects. Twice during my time working there, the operating room staff published cookbooks in an effort to raise funds for different medical missions. Since I was young and just beginning my domestic skills, those cookbooks became my standards as I cooked my way through both cookbooks. I have since put those cookbooks aside and don't pull them out near as much as I used to, except for specific recipes. Chocolate Rolo Cookies is one of those recipes.

This recipe is a basic Chocolate Crinkle recipe (even though I don't ever do chocolate crinkles in a basic form - see my recipe for Loaded Chocolate Crinkles here).  The gist of this recipe is chocolate cookie dough wrapped around a rolo and then rolled in powdered sugar and baked.  The rolo melts in the process of baking, leaving a delicious caramel layer inside of your cookie.  Oh, so good!





One Year Ago: Chunky Monkey Pancakes
                        Orange Frostie

CHOCOLATE ROLO COOKIES     
(recipe from Penny W.)
printable version

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 cup flour
approx. 50 rolo candies
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine sugars and softened butter in a mixing bowl; cream together until smooth.  Add eggs and vanilla and blend until well combined.  Add dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Wrap about 1 Tbs. dough around one rolo candy and then roll the ball in powdered sugar.
Place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment