Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Serving Up {Vegetable} Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Leeks with fresh Sage

 

I have been on a leek kick as of late and although I totally realize that my last post was a potato and leak recipe, I am posting another right behind it because it is a great recipe.  Not to mention it's cold outside where I am and there is something very hearty and comforting about roasted root vegetables at this time of year.

Roasting vegetables is my absolute favorite way to prepare just about any vegetable.  I have posted roasted pumpkin and roasted asparagus and roasted broccoli and roasted new potatoes, but I also roast squash, kale, mushrooms, peppers....even carrots!  The flavor is the absolute best and my kids like their vegetables so much better prepared that way.  This recipe was something that I threw together because I had a (white) sweet potato, a yukon gold potato and a leek that all needed to be used and I just knew they needed to be roasted together.  Boy oh boy, did I got it right!  We had dinner guests over the first time I prepared this dish and there wasn't a bite of these potatoes remaining by the end of the meal.  Yum!


One Year Ago: Thanksgiving Beans

ROASTED SWEET POTATOES & LEEKS WITH FRESH SAGE     
printable version

1 large sweet potato (white variety)
1 large russet or yukon gold potato (could omit or use another sweet potato in place of)
1-2 large leeks
olive oil
1/2 cup (packed) fresh sage
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a large baking pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray.

Peel both potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.  Place in a large bowl.  Wash leeks well and chop.  Add the leaks to the bowl of potatoes.  Drizzle olive oil over all and toss until everything has a light coating.  Slice fresh sage into strips and add to potatoes.  Season all generously with salt and pepper.

Spread potatoes evenly onto prepared pan so that all potatoes are in a single layer.  Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender when poked with the tines of a fork.  You can stir or toss the potatoes halfway through the baking time, but it isn't necessary.  Be sure to test a sweet potatoes as they do not cook as quickly as the russet or yukon gold (if using the potato combination).

No comments:

Post a Comment