Thursday, November 15, 2012

Serving Up {Vegetable}: Mashed Potatoes and Leeks


One year ago, in preparation for Thanksgiving, I posted my all-time favorite mashed potato recipe and I would not have guessed that a year later I would even consider posting another recipe.  But I have made these potatoes twice in just the past two weeks and they are really delicious and deserve to be published!

I was at the tire repair shop recently and the television had a cooking segment on it (I wish I could give correct credit, but it was not a network I was familiar with) preparing "easy" Thanksgiving sides.  These potatoes were prepared and, although I don't have the official recipe, I was able to remember the important steps and re-create it at home.  The key is the combination of the leeks with the potatoes - a BRILLIANT combination considering the number of Potato Leek Soup recipes out there.  It is just a natural, and delicious, flavor combination!

So if you are looking for a great way to add something new to your Thanksgiving table next week, I would highly suggest tweaking your potatoes just slightly.  You won't be sorry!


One Year Ago: Refrigerated Mashed Potatoes

MASHED POTATOES & LEEKS     
printable version

3-4 pounds potatoes, russet & gold combination
1/2 cup butter
2 leeks, washed thoroughly and chopped
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste

Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.  Place into large pan.  Cover with water and add (generously) salt.  Place on stove and bring to a boil, cooking until tender.

Meanwhile, place butter in a medium saucepan and melt over medium heat.  Add the chopped/washed leeks and allow to cook until the leeks are tender and fragrant.  Add cream to the saucepan and heat without bringing to a boil.  Remove from the heat and place in a blender, or use an immersion blender to process just until the leeks are blended with cream.

When potatoes are tender, remove from heat and drain cooking water.  Begin mashing the potatoes by adding about 2/3 of the cream to the potatoes.  Add additional cream as needed.  You want creamy potatoes but don't want so much cream to create a soup.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment