Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Serving Up {Vegetable}: Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots and Sage



For the next couple of weeks I am going to be a bit out of commission, but I am leaving some (pre) posts of some of my favorite pumpkin recipes.  I LOVE pumpkin and October is the perfect month to enjoy pumpkin in all of it's glory.  Enjoy!

I have carved pumpkins before, but never in my life have I cut apart a pumpkin with the sole purpose of cooking and eating it.  Until this recipe.  My sister-in-law passed it along to me and I have wanted to make it for a while, but it's hard to find sugar pumpkins to purchase except during the month of October.  So take your chance now and try this recipe before the pumpkins are gone for another 11 months.  
(I found my pumpkin at Trader Joe's and it was the perfect size)

This posting is really two recipes - both completely simple, yet very gourmet.  
The first recipe is for the Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots and Sage.  
Once you have your pumpkin roasted, there is a recipe to follow that pairs the roasted pumpkin with pasta and goat cheese.  
I really liked both recipes, but goat cheese is a bit of an acquired taste and I don't think it went over very well with the kiddos.  If goat cheese isn't your thing either, make the Roasted Pumpkin and serve it as a side with anything.  I am not exaggerating - it was so sweet that I felt like I was literally eating candy.  So good!  I hope you think so too.


ROASTED PUMPKIN with SHALLOTS and SAGE     Pin It

(recipe from Martha Stewart)
printable version

1 medium sugar pumpkin (about 4 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 2 inch chunks
4 shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
3 Tbsl olive oil
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
coarse salt and ground pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Divide pumpkin, shallots, oil and sage between two large rimmed baking sheets.  Season with salt and pepper and toss.
Roast until the pumpkin is tender, 30-35 minutes, tossing once nad rotating sheets halfway through.


RIGATONI with ROASTED PUMPKIN and GOAT CHEESE
(recipe from Martha Stewart)
printable version

12 ounces rigatoni
2 Tbs. butter
5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Roasted pumpkin with shallots and sage (recipe to follow)
coarse salt and ground pepper

In a large pot of boiling slated water, cook pasta until al dente.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; drain pasta and return to pot.  Add the butter, cheese and pasta water; toss until butter has melted.
Gently fold in oraste pumpkin; season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment