Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Serving Up {Muffins}: Pear Pecan Muffins

I get most of my fall produce from a local co-op that purchases directly from local farms and orchards.  It is a terrific option for me - I am supporting local growers and in return I get great prices and amazing produce.  Last month I bought 45 pounds of bartlett pears.  They came to me still a bit green, but after just a couple of days they were perfectly ripe.  They were soft and juicy and the flavor was divine.  We enjoyed them plain, on top of greens and I even managed to bottle about half of them (with the help of my mom).  Seriously delicious!

If you, too, have delicious pears at your disposal, this is a great recipe to make on a crisp fall morning.  You can use fresh pears (as long as they are ripe) or I have been known to use canned pears when I have wanted these muffins when pears are not in season.  When I got this recipe it was called "Pear Walnut Muffins" but I always prefer pecans over walnuts so I changed the nuts and the name of the recipe.  I guess you could leave the nuts out altogether, if you are in to that kind of thing :)


PEAR PECAN MUFFINS    
(recipe from Pam H.)

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I have substituted buttermilk)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 large (ripe) pear, peeled, cored and chopped fine

Prepare your muffin tin by greasing or using liners.  Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger.
In another bowl, combine the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.  Gently fold in the chopped pear.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins.  Top with finely chopped pecans and additional brown sugar.
Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until they test done.

No comments:

Post a Comment