Thursday, August 30, 2012

Serving Up {Cake}: Blueberry Buckle


My youngest is fascinated with the Disney movie "Cars" and watches (parts of) it a lot.  In one scene Lightening McQueen calls his #1 rival, Chick Hick, "Thunder" and then says, "you know, because thunder always comes after LIGHTENING" (referring to himself) which leaves Chick Hick saying, "who knew that about thunder?"

I promise I really do have a point!

I have a friend who is quite nearly the perfect homemaker - seriously!  And I have been the recipient of her perfection so many times that I will never be able to pay her back even a fraction.  She was coming over to my house one morning for a meeting with two other people and this near perfect friend told me that she would be bringing a Blueberry Buckle.  I had no idea what that was, but didn't worry because I knew if it came from her kitchen then it would be amazing.  So the morning that she shows up with this delectable goody, the other two women say, "oh did you make a blueberry buckle" and they all begin talking about it and I felt like Chick Hick, looking around saying, "who knew that about blueberry buckle?".  I know, I need to get out more, but you would be amazed at how many parallels I can find between my life and Disney.

Moving on...just as I knew that a Blueberry Buckle, whatever it was, would be to die for if it was made by my friend, it did not disappoint.  It turns out that a buckle actually falls under the category of "cobbler" but, in truth, is much more like a cake than what I consider to be a cobbler.  That's good because I think that by categorizing it as a coffee cake also means that it is allowable to eat it for breakfast, which is fine by me! 




One Year Ago: Morning Egg Casserole

BLUEBERRY BUCKLE     
(recipe from Heidi C.)
printable version

2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
2 cups blueberries, fresh (if using frozen, thaw first)

Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, melted butter, milk and egg.  Mix well and add when combined, add the blueberries carefully and quickly folding them in.  The dough gets a little firm quickly so it's easier to get the berries in the dough soon after it's mixed.   If using thawed, fold them in gently to prevent them from breaking and turning the dough blue.

Spread the batter into a buttered 8 X 8 pan.  Prepare topping.

1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter

Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter in a bowl using a pastry blender.  Sprinkle the topping evenly over the batter.
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 45 - 50 mins.  Check it at about 30 minutes - if the top is browning too much, lightly place a piece of foil over the top for the remaining cooking time.  Test with a toothpick to make sure it's cooked all the way through before removing from oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment