Monday, December 12, 2011

Serving Up {Cookies}: Brownie Roll Out Cookies

I have been sharing cookie recipes that I have taken to my annual Christmas Cookie Exchange.  If you have ever wondered what twelve dozen cookies look like, this photo may give you an idea!

The final year that I participated in the cookie exchange was the year that I hosted the event.  It would probably have been a good year for me to choose an easier cookie, but I thrive under unrealistic pressure that I place upon myself, so I chose a cookie that had to be rolled out, cut and baked.  And then I chose to dip each and every cookie in melted white chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy cane.  It was over the top when multiplied by 12 dozen, but was worth it for every single bite!

This recipe would make a REALLY good crust cookie if you were thinking of making homemade ice cream sandwiches.  In fact, they would be REALLY, REALLY good if you were thinking of making said ice cream sandwiches in the next couple of weeks when you can get seasonal peppermint ice cream found only in the month of December.  Yum!  Enough drooling, here is the recipe...

BROWNIE ROLL OUT COOKIES      Pin It
(recipe from Smitten Kitchen)
printable version

3 cups flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
1cup butter ( ½ cup salted, ½ cup unsalted)
1 ½ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup cocoa

Whisk dry flour, salt and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and cocoa in mixer. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out cookies on floured counter. Cut into desired shapes. Bake on parchment lined baking sheet for 8-11 minutes until the edges are firm and the centers are slightly soft and puffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment