Thursday, July 14, 2011

Serving Up {Sandwich}: Cashew Chicken Salad

There is something about Chicken Salad served on a croissant that just declares "baby shower" or "church luncheon" - or at least that is what I relate them to in my own life.  But church luncheons are too infrequent and I think I may have outgrown my years of being a frequent guest at baby showers.  Desperate times call for desperate measures - time to make my own chicken salad and eat it in the privacy of my own home for my own lunch with only the company of my own children.  And I'm okay with that!

This recipe is SO simple.  That is how I like my chicken salad - simple.  I like the pop of the grapes as I bite into them, I like the crunch of the cashews and I prefer to leave the celery out (but you can add it if you are so inclined).  The thing about chicken salad is that it's one of those "mix the ingredients, taste it, add more of something, taste it again."  The recipe is simply a starting point.  But a pretty good place to start in my opinion :)  I hope you agree.



CASHEW CHICKEN SALAD     
printable version

4 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or cubed
2 cups cashews, to taste
2 cups halved red seedless grapes, to taste
1 cup celery, chopped (optional)
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Real Foods Mayonnaise
1/2 fresh lemon **(see my tip)

Cook chicken breasts through and either cube them or shred them.
** I like to cook the chicken in a slow cooker and shred it.  I squeeze 1/2 fresh lemon over the chicken as I shred it and it adds a "bright" flavor to the chicken salad.
Combine chicken, grapes, celery, onion, pepper and salt in a large bowl.  Begin with 2 cups of mayonnaise and continue to add more mayonnaise until the chicken salad is as moist (or dry) as you prefer.
Add the cashews to the mix just prior to serving.
Serve on buns or croissants.  Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes or red onion, as desired.

2 comments:

  1. Try substituting lime for the lemon. I'm a sucker for anything with lime juice but I think it is especially good in chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you would suggest the lime juice. I've never tried that but am thinking that it's time to make a batch of chicken salad and give it a try.
    I'm with you - lime is where it's at!

    ReplyDelete