Thursday, May 5, 2011

Serving Up {Brownies}: Favorite Mint Brownies

I pride myself in the fact that I have never met a brownie that I haven't instantly become friends with. I'm a brownie kind of girl. And although I love brownies in all their forms, I have a special fondness for mint brownies. And I'm not the only one - I became kind of well known in our previous ward for "Katherine's mint brownies" - they were requested at more than one baptism and the bishop offered them one year in ward council as a reward for ward history submissions.  Most ward history submissions ever!

This is one of those recipes that came with me when I moved out of my mom's house. Since that time I have enjoyed a fair number of mint brownies and have tried a number of other recipes. And while I have enjoyed most of them, none have beat this recipe. It is definately my "go-to" mint brownie recipe.

 
FAVORITE MINT BROWNIES     
(recipe from Pam H.)
printable version

6 eggs
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup cocoa
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

In a large mixing bowl, blend eggs until bright yellow in color.  Gradually add the sugar; mixing until well combined.  Next add the melted butter and vanilla.  Combine dry ingredients and sift together and then add to the wet mixture and stir until combined.  Spread into a greased 12x17" pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, being careful not to over bake.  Cool on a wire rack.

Mint Filling:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3-4 Tbs. evaporated milk
3 1/2 -4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 - 3/4 tsp. mint extract
food coloring

Beat the butter until soft and then alternate adding the milk and powdered sugar until all the powdered sugar is used (may use additional milk if necessary).  The texture needs to be that of a spreadable frosting so that it doesn't tear the brownies.  Add mint extract to taste and food coloring of your choice.  Spread over cooled brownies.  Chill.

Chocolate Glaze:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine the butter and chocolate chips in a small saucepan over med-low heat until melted; stirring frequently.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.  Let cool slightly before pouring over chilled mint layer of brownies.  Spread carefully.  Allow to cool completely before cutting.

**These brownies freeze really well so they are great for making ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment