Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Serving Up {Cookies}: Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Last night my husband announced that he was in "need" of chocolate for dessert.  He said that while a plate of Cinnamon Roll Cookie Bars was sitting directly in front of him at the table!  I wasn't as supportive as I should have been and said "no" to the baking of cookies!  I cannot have that much temptation in the house at one time!  So I struck a bargain with the hubby...he could cook up some Toll House cookie dough (packaged) that was in the freezer to meet his chocolate need if he promised to only cook up enough to meet the immediate "need".  The cookies were baked and after he ate one (or two, or three) he said, "these are not nearly as good as yours".  Thank you!  I absolutely agree.  Even if the package does say "Cookie of the Year", packaged cookie dough just doesn't come close to homemade!

So with that I give you my favorite cookie recipe (at the moment).  Chocolate chip cookies are a tricky one because there are thousands of variations out there and everyone feels differently about what constitutes cookie perfection - kind of a thin/crunchy versus thick/chewy thing.  I am a thick and chewy girl myself.  I have tried many FABULOUS, tried and true recipes passed along by friends only to not have success when I recreate them in my kitchen.  My best friend makes awesome cookies - secret ingredient is corn starch - but when I make them they are not like the perfection that comes out of her oven.  Same thing with my sister-in-law's recipe - secret ingredient is pudding mix - but they don't come out of my oven looking like they do out of hers.  For whatever reason, this recipe works for me.  Every time.  So it is the recipe I stand by.  I think that the key to the thick and chewy result is perfecting the amount of flour and that may vary by altitude or weather, so play with it until you have your own Chocolate Chip Cookie perfection.  I have definitely found mine.



One Year Ago: Bran Flax Muffins
Two Years Ago: Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots & Sage
                          Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES     
(recipe from Stephanie C., adapted by Heidi C.)
printable version

1 cup butter
2/3 cups brown sugar
1 1/3 cups white sugar
2 tsp. real vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour (may need slightly more)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy - at least 5 minutes - you can't over mix on this part.  Add vanilla and eggs. Beat lightly until smooth (don't over mix).  Mix dry ingredients and stir into sugar mixture until flour disappears (don't over mix).  Add chocolate chips and stir just until evenly distributed.
Using cookie scoop* drop dough onto cookie sheets.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  They will be slightly firm at the edges and soft in the middle.  They will get more firm as they cool.
Remove from oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet.  Remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.

* This recipe makes the greatest jumbo cookies.  To make jumbo cookies, use an ice-cream scoop in place of a cookie scoop.  You will need to add 2-4 minutes to baking time to accommodate the larger size.

1 comment: