Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Serving Up {Tacos}: Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Crumbled Feta


I don't consider myself a "food blogger".  This is a hobby and it's quite a few rungs down on my priority list should push ever come to shove.  But with that said, if there were any question I think this past week would prove that I will never be anything more than a want-to-be....I ran out of sugar (completely) and my oven broke.  What kind of food blogger let's that happen?  Obviously me - the not-a-food-blogger :)

The sugar issue was resolved by my hubby making a grocery store run for me.  Unfortunately the oven issue was not as easily repaired.  Without a working oven, I found myself tweaking the menu plans I had lined up with some recipes that could be prepared completely on the stove top.  Today's recipe was one of those stove top recipes and it came together SO quickly.  Truthfully less than 20 minutes start to finish!  So give this recipe bonus points for being quick, for not using the oven and for being completely vegetarian - a great recipe to have on hand!



One Year Ago: Pear Pecan Muffins

CRISPY BLACK BEAN TACOS WITH CRUMBLED FETA     
(recipe from "Spilling the Beans" Cookbook)
printable version

1 19-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup salsa
1 green onion, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
salt to taste
2 cups coleslaw mix or finely chopped cabbage
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tbs. mayo
1 Tbs. lime juice
8 small corn or flour tortillas
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

In a small bowl, roughly mash the black beans with the salsa, green onion, chili powder, cumin and salt.
In another bowl, toss the coleslaw with the cilantro, mayo and lime juice.

Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a heavy skillet set over medium heat.  Divide the bean mixture among the tortillas and then told the tortillas in half; add 2 to the pan at a time and cook until golden brown on each side, adding more oil and flipping as needed.

Remove from pan, add coleslaw mix, feta cheese and additional fresh cilantro if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment