Thursday, June 28, 2012

Serving Up {Dessert}: Cheater Donuts


In April my family and I went to Seattle for a quick getaway.  Our first day there we enjoyed amazing little miniature cinnamon donuts at Pikes Market from Daily Dozen Donuts.  The second day there my husband and I stopped into Starbucks to grab a fruit smoothie and we split an old fashioned donut.  The third day there my husband stopped into Top Pots Donuts so that I could indulge in one of their succulent Boston Creme pie donut creations.  I guess I could say that I have a thing for donuts - but luckily I don't indulge like that on a regular basis.

When we returned from Seattle I requested the Top Pots Donut cookbook from my local library and eagerly awaited it's arrival.  It has now been in my "to read" or at least my "to glance at" pile for nearly a month and I have yet to attempt a single recipe.  Crazy, I know!  But by golly, I am not returning this book until I do...

In the meantime, while the Top Pots recipe book sits awaiting my perusal, I have broken down and gone for the easy donut fix.  And when I say easy, I mean EASY!!!  And yet delicious and a total cure to any donut craving.  I guess at this point I simply ought to say "I'm sorry"...maybe we could all start running in the mornings together to undo what this recipe is going to do.

One Year Ago: Kalua Pork
                        Absolute Best Homemade Ice Cream

CHEATER DONUTS     
printable version

1 package canned biscuits (I used Pillsbury Homestyle Buttermilk)
cinnamon
sugar
oil

Pour enough oil into a heavy saucepan to cover the bottom by approx. 1 1/2 inches. Heat oil to 350-375 degrees (on my stove that is the notch BELOW medium heat).

Open canned biscuits and cut a hole out of the center of each biscuit.

Prepare cinnamon sugar mixture and place in a brown paper lunch sack.

When oil is to temperature, carefully drop biscuits into the oil and cook for approx. 2 minutes (or until browned to your preference). Flip and cook the second side for 2 minutes also. Remove from oil and allow the oil to drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Before they cool completely, place donut into brown paper lunch sack, seal it and shake it to coat with cinnamon sugar. Remove and allow to cool completely.

***I saw this recipe here and they dipped the cooked donuts into melted butter before putting the cinnamon sugar onto the donut.  While that probably would be amazingly delicious, I found the cinnamon sugar stuck well without the butter step and skipping the butter helped me justify eating two (and a half) donuts with zero amount of guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment