Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Spinach Artichoke Egg Croissant


I try really hard to always site my source for recipes, whether it be a friend, another blog or the back of the chocolate chip package!  While I would like to properly site this recipe, I can't recall the exact source but I will tell you how it evolved.  I was reading a book and the character created an egg sandwich by spreading spinach artichoke dip over a toasted croissant, topped it with a poached egg and drizzled the entire thing with Hollandaise sauce.  So I guess my true source of this recipe was a character in a book, or more accurately, the author of the book, but I can't recall what book it was.  Regardless, you can bet that I jumped at the chance to recreat it and am really glad that I did.  I have served this as a quick breakfast for the hubby, as a dinner for the family and as the main dish for a holiday luncheon with twelve church ladies in attendance.  It just works!

Served beside some yummy breakfast potatoes (may I suggest these), this is a really satisfying meal.
  
Warning: make sure you have a fork and an extra napkin or two because as delicious as it is, it is equally messy.




SPINACH ARTICHOKE EGG CROISSANT     

1 large croissant
3-4 Tbs. Spinach Artichoke Dip (Costco sells a yummy version)
3-4 Tbs. Hollandaise Sauce
1-2 large eggs
salt & pepper

Cover the bottom of a small skillet with water about 1-2 inches and bring to a simmer (you don't want the water to be boiling).  Add 1 Tbs. vinegar to the water.  Crack the egg into a small dish and, from the dish, pour the egg into the simmering water.  Cover and allow to simmer for approximately 4 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, remove the egg from the water.  If you want two eggs on your croissant, then repeat the process with another egg.

While egg is cooking, slice the croissant in half.  Place in toaster oven to toast lightly.
Heat spinach artichoke dip until the cheese is melted.  Remove croissant from the toaster and spread the dip on the bottom half.  Place poached egg on top of the artichoke dip and season with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the Hollandaise sauce over the egg and replace the top half of the croissant.

1 comment:

  1. In your recipe the calories and fat fall out right? Cuz it seriously looks so good.

    ReplyDelete