Thursday, February 2, 2012

Serving Up {Breakfast}: Five Grain Cereal

This is a recipe from the Blendtec recipe book.  I love hot cereal so this is one of the first recipes I tried and I make it at least a couple of times a week.  I love that I am grinding whole grains right in front of myself and then cooking them - no wondering what preservatives or additives are going into my morning breakfast cereal or that of my kids.
FIVE GRAIN CEREAL     Pin It
(recipe from Blendtec Fresh Blends)
printable version

1 cup oat groats
1/2 cup millet
1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup brown rice
1/2 cup cornmeal

Add all the ingredients to the blender jar, in the order listed and secure the lid.  Press "speed up" to speed 4, running for 10-12 seconds.  Transfer the freshly cut grains to a resealable container.

To prepare hot cereal, add 1 cup water per 1/3 cup five grain cereal to a saucepan and whisk together.  Bring the cereal to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3-5minutes until thickened.
Top with a sprinkle of brown sugar or honey.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment