Monday, September 12, 2011

Serving Up {Dessert}: Candy bar Pudding Dessert

When I was a teenager I was the "in demand" babysitter in the neighborhood.  Seriously!  I babysat generally five (if not six) days a week, and largely for the same family.  I only wish that I could find someone to watch my kids that would vacuum  before I got home (oh yes I did - why do you think I was in high demand?)  Why do I mention that.  I'm not really sure why I mentioned the vacuuming, but I mention the babysitting because I have to make a confession.  One night I was babysitting and in the fridge was a variation of this dessert and the mom told me to "help myself".  Oh My Word!  I totally ate probably a quarter of the entire pan!  I couldn't help it. I just kept going back for another small slice and before I knew it....  I probably had chocolate on my chin when the parents got home.  Ugh!  I totally embarrassed myself!
(and just for the record, I think of that EVERY time I tell a babysitter to help themself to something in my fridge at my house)

Just as I have never forgotten that evening, I have never forgotten this recipe.  And while this is not the exact recipe from that family (I was too embarrassed to ask for the recipe), it is a recipe from my aunt and it tastes pretty darn close to what I remember that dessert tasting like on that fateful, embarrassing night.


CANDY BAR PUDDING DESSERT     Pin It
(recipe from aunt Diane)
printable version

2 cups OREO crumbs
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup butter, melted
8-ounce cream cheese, softened
16-ounce cool whip
1 1/2 cup chopped candy (twix is my favorite)
3 cups cold milk
2 small packages instant chocolate pudding

Mix the cookie crumbs, 1/4 cup of the sugar and the melted butter.  Press into a 13x9 glass baking dish.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until set.
Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar until smooth.  Fold in 1/2 of the cool whip.  Spread this mixture over the crust and then sprinkle 1 cup of the crushed candy over that.
Pour the milk into a bowl and add both packages of chocolate pudding.  Beat with a whisk for 1-2 minutes.  Pour the pudding over the candy bar layer.  Return to the refrigerator for 10 minutes while the pudding sets.
Spread the remaining cool whip over the top of the pudding layer and garnish with the remaining 1/2 cup of crushed candy.
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.

1 comment:

  1. I will try this; Brian has a variation of this we call Brian's Dessert. I had to beg his mom to find the recipe; turns out it's on the back of the cream cheese packaging

    ReplyDelete