Thursday, November 3, 2011

Serving Up {Pie}: Pumpkin Chiffon Pie

This recipe wraps up my pumpkin extravaganza that has been going on for the past few weeks.  Hopefully you have found one or two pumpkin recipes that have sent your taste buds salivating.

This final recipe is a perfect lead in to Thanksgiving later this month.  This is the ONLY pumpkin pie that I eat.  After you taste it you will understand why.  No other pumpkin pie compares.  It is the only pumpkin pie recipe my mom ever made growing up and I had no idea that there was anything but Pumpkin Chiffon Pie until I entered the real world and realized how spoiled I had been my entire life.

My mom uses a traditional pie crust when she makes this recipe.  I'm a kid at heart and prefer it with a graham cracker crust.  Either way, you really can't go wrong.


PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE     
(recipe from Linda W.)
printable version

1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Combine the above in a saucepan and stir until well blended. Add:

3/4 cup milk
2 egg yolks, beaten
1 cup canned pumpkin

Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and chill until partially set.

2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup whipping cream, chilled

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating to form stiff peaks. In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Fold both the eggs whites and the cream into the cooled pumpkin mixture. Spoon into a prebaked 9-inch crust (or a graham cracker crust which is my preference) and chill until firm. Serve with additional whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment