Monday, April 23, 2012

Serving Up {Cookies}: Rolo Cake Mix Bars


If your local store is still selling off their Easter candy at 50% off, I highly encourage you to get over there and stock up on rolos!   I have a couple of recipes that are beyond delicious and both use rolos as an ingredient. I just love the combination of caramel and chocolate.  I thought I would share both recipes this week just in case your Easter candy was still lurking.

Today's recipe is one that I searched for in an attempt to replicate a cookie/bar that I had eaten at a church function.  When I had it for the first time, I was convinced that it used a cake mix and promptly went home and searched for something similar to it in my Cake Doctor book, disappointed when I came up empty handed.  Thank goodness for the internet!  Using technology I was able to stumble upon this, and although I don't know whether it is the exact recipe of what I originally enjoyed, it is definitely similar and definitely a hit at our house.



One Year Ago: Grandma's Banana Bread
                          Sandy's Spinach Salad

ROLO CAKE MIX BARS     
(recipe from Cookies & Cups)
printable version

1 pkg. yellow cake mix
5-ounce evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
40 (approx) rolo candies, unwrapped and cut in half

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13x9 pan with non-stick spray.

In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, milk and butter with blenders until blended (batter will be thick). Divide batter in half and press half of mixture the baking pan and bake for 10-12 minutes, until set.

Remove from oven and place rolo candies, caramel side down, over crust. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls over the top. Bake 22-26 minutes longer or the top begins to turn golden brown.

Cool on a wire rack prior to cutting into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment